It’s been a long time coming but finally we have put up our new hen-house.
We decided to buy a new hen-house as ours had seen its best days and needed replacing.
Having spent hours looking at hen houses on the internet and in shops I was very disappointed at the quality and exorbitant prices of most of them. Added to that with 13 hens to house the coops we saw were rarely big enough for our requirements. So we decided to buy a shed and adapt it.
Looking at sheds we discovered a plastic one that we felt would be perfect. Plastic would mean minimal maintenance. As I understand red mite don’t like plastic and are less likely to take up residence. On top of that there’s nothing to rot or paint, bonus!
The plastic itself is double thickness which gives it, it’s strength and will also insulate the hens in winter. Keeping them nice and warm. The down side is it could be too warm so I am having to buy extra ventilation grills to ensure adequate ventilation and air flow.
Hens need good air flow without it being draughty to stay healthy. Thankfully I can put the vents up high enough so the hens won’t be caught in any draughts but will be kept cool enough. I will also be buying a thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature and make sure it’s not too hot or cold.
So we brought the hen-house and plotted out where it was going to go. A few weekends ago having dug the footings out we finally found the time to lay the foundations.
Now I have learned a very valuable lesson here. Brick laying is harder than it seems!
Having dug the footings and laid the bricks we realised our new laid foundations were not square, Panic! This would mean the shed wouldn’t fit.
Well after much scratching of heads we decided we would have to sit the shed on wood. So the shed and wood are at one angle and the foundations at another. Still as my wonderful Mark says nothing is straight in nature!
Now all we have to do is finish the paving so we can get to the shed without getting muddy, lower the level of earth in the run to accommodate the wood chip that we’re putting down and sort out the nesting boxes and perches, simple.
Still it should all be finished by Christmas……………I hope!